Tuesday, September 29, 2009

90 degrees in Cairo today

Sunday took a long walk to the Fulbright office in Dokki - about an hour round trip but it was soooo humid. And I can't help walking fast. Too much traffic - and no, I didn't just notice that. I hate the pollution, love the people. I started a painting then gave up as I was so tired. Monday, took it easy as well, tried to ignore the painting until I felt inspired.

Today, I finally decided I HAD to finish it and capture the woman's spirit. She has the hint of a smile and all the wrinkles of age. There was a woman I saw once begging in the street and she was an old Bedouin or Berber woman because she had tattoos on her chin. I thought it would be cheating though to paint on tattoos on my grandmother. I'll wait until I get to Siwa or elsewhere and see if I see another woman like that. I like to paint portraits but only if I like the person - they are not generic - and I have to be inspired by their soul as well as a personal experience with them in some way. I love how her veiled outfit turned out. It was tough going for a while and this is the third rendition. Hopefully, when I look at it again, I will be happy. I'm moderately happy with it now or happy enough.

Like the Prince song, "maybe I'm like my mother, she's never satisfied ..." When I have more of the series of Faces of Egypt, I think it will be better. I'm still amazed really at how Egypt has inspired me. This is part of my way of giving back, dedicating any success to the universal well being of Egyptians. These are memorial portraits of people living today in the 21st century

I signed up for a lecture presentation at Alexandria University along the lines of creativity and innovation in women's crafts in Egypt. Date to be arranged. Uh, I need something tangible to present so I think late November or so. Fulbright will pay for our hotel room, train ride to Alex and food stipend. Isn't that nice of them? I wonder if they would help with my conference in Davos? I'll have to ask Hend.

More later, meeting Shayma at 4:00 today - we are going to the Tentmaker's area where men make applique quilts, tents, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment