Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Monday, Monday

I went to visit Shayma Kamel today at her studio so I could see her latest works of art. She switched her decor from last year, just like me always changing furniture and rooms. Her studio is in one room with a lineoleum floor with plenty of room for her new work, very large canvases. She was currently working on some monoprints. Her work is so monumental despite the sometimes very small scale. Other canvases are 5' x 6'.

We talked, I played with her black cat Safety and took some pictures of him. He's pretty sociable like Shayma, was very happy to have me pet him, even his belly. She told me about her neighbor upstairs, Jennifer who graduated with her MA from the Royal College of Art in London. Jennifer is a painter but also has done other work, some film too. So we went up to her flat to visit and decided to all go to dinner together for the Iftar. Iftar is the meal that breaks the fast from Ramadan, when the sun goes down around 6 pm or so. We were joined by another friend, Atiya from Yemen. Atiya is getting married in Egypt in December so I have an invitation already. We were downtown and walked to an area with lots of local restaurants. The firest choice place was occupied so we walked down and around the block.

Dinner was kofta (grilled lamb like meatballs), okra in a delicious red sauce, rice, Egyptian bread, tahini, salad of tomatoes - I was too full to eat that and bottled water. Dinner for four people was 58 LE so less than $6. Amazing.

Today, Tuesday was our in country Fulbright orientation for scholars and students at the U.S. Embassy. A quick guide for safety, health, higher education in Egypt, tips from current Fulbright students, etc. I met Dominique, originally from Nebraska who has her BFA in printmaking and just finished her peace corps stint in Morocco. She was home for a month and then got the Fulbright. Shayma had told me about her. I met at the Iftar which we were bussed to (at the Citadel) a professor couple, Mostafa and Saraya who were both printmakers. Saraya teaches Art Education and told me of the UNESCO decision in 2007 to make mandatory art education for children because it has been proven that art, brain mapping and learning are all integrated. Harvard University, the Getty Center and two other places in the U.S. are pioneers in the field. So how come Egypt is so progressive in this when the State System of Higher Education is not? Why do the public schools in America drop funding for the arts especially the visual arts when UNESCO has this mandate? We are so backwards.

Mostafa and Saraya have invited me to visit their studio and home after Ramadan. I brought Dominique over to meet them. Mostafa is interested in c0ollaborating with me. Oh, I love Fulbright and the wonderful people who are alumni. Their daughter Dina is a graphic artist as well. Mostafa has done it all - woodblocks, etching, lithography, art books, etc. They were both so open and wonderful. I feel so lucky to have such great connections. There are two art stores in Zamalek with oil paint and other items made in Egypt that are quite good. They also know about El Nafeza, the papermaking workshop in el Fostat (Cairo).

I am going to need to make my art pieces for the exhibition very soon - I want to use Egyptian made paper, paints, etc. and theme too as my interpretation of Egypt through my eyes. A perfectly wonderful evening with good food, great music and Sufi dancing, and conversation with my Egyptian friends. Oh, Mostafa and Saraya also have a database of Nubian handicrafts from a project they did. I love the spirit of the people I meet, so generous and gracious. Just wanted to post this to let everyone know how great things are going More later and will post pics tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment