Saturday, September 19, 2009

Weather and other things

Forecast today and next week - 90 degrees low of 73 with 45% humidity. We get a break in the weather Wednesday when it will be ....... drumroll ...... 89 degrees.

I feel pretty tired today, must drink more water. I downed a Fanta in about three minutes right outside Alpha Market. Gave 5 LE to an old Egyptian lady all in black sitting on the curb. I blew her kiss and she did the same. Funny how making someone smile and give them a flutter of happiness makes me feel so good. You know, I have a weakness for old ladies - probably because I never knew either of my grandmothers as they had died before I was born. When I was six and took the bus to school, my brother Joe who was nine never sat with me so I would sit next to old ladies. My mother said it was only OK to talk to them and talk I did, telling them about my day, they would show me crafts they were working on. I was so happy to be noticed.

I bought yogurt, what I think are beef burger patties but after eating one, I think they are more vegetable protein mixed. Still with melted cheese on top and in a bun, delicious and satisfying. Wasn't feeling my best on the walk home, kind of dizzy but made it. As I was leaving the little old lady and Alpha Market, the flower sellers approached me. They were asking 15 LE for a bunch of roses but I said 10 LE and walked away. They said 13 LE, I still walked and before I had walked more than a few feet, they agreed. I bought a bunch of flowers kind of like broom flowers, red violet in color. I bought them for Kathy's birthday who turns 50 tomorrow. She's the professor from Gettysburg who lives upstairs. She was so thrilled with them. I'll have to take a picture of them tomorrow.

While walking down 26 July Street, I passed a few tables of mercy filled with the poor who are given a meal for Iftar every day during the month of Ramadan. Then I saw a young boy giving plastic wrapped packets of dates -- when the taxis slowed, he would toss in a beribboned package. Ramadan is a time for generosity and it is beautiful to see such acts of kindness. Unfortunately, I did not take my camera with me today. I should always have it for these moments.

Now at home taking it easy - tomorrow begins the Bayram, or Eid days of celebration when Muslims spend time with their family maybe close to Christmas or Easter with Ramadan perhaps being like Advent or Lent for Christians. That's the closest thing I can compare it with but not knowing enough, I am not sure.

Hi all of my friends and family -- I miss you all. Love, hugs, kisses, Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment