Friday, September 4, 2009

What Can You Get for 20 EGP

I thought this was a good title for today - challenging myself to see what I could purchase for the equivalent of less than $4 USD. I bought a bouquet of Egyptian pink roses - about 2 dozen from a guy on the street outside the Alpha Market. They even had a faint scent. Of course, they are very thorny, the kind of tiny thorns that are more irritating than skin puncturing. I had trim off most of the leaves and snip off the ends. In the end I filled a large water pitcher with the taller ones and a water glass with the rest. I don't know, I think they were actually more like 3 dozen, small, pretty, pink roses. Passing by what smelled delectable with to go styrofoam containers of rice and what looked like eggplant (don't ever assume, it turned out to be spicy chopped chicken livers) and some freshly (no not killed but probably that too) grilled chicken) I asked how much, and yes, 20 EGP. I also ventured to ask for the chicken to be breast, and the man said yes. I can't tell you how many times I have requested this and ended up with legs, etc. Ha ha ha on me, I got a chicken leg, a piece of chicken back and who knows from what area of the chicken the last tiny morsel came from. Well, except for the chicken liver surprise, I ended up eating it all. what was described to me as salad, was some very very spicy tahini. ILast item: I bought a navy blue handwoven scarf from the Nomad store - a little over - but at 25 EGP, still a pretty good bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment