Thursday, September 24, 2009

Food shopping and other stories

On my way to the Alpha Market today, I stopped by a pharmacy - Gohoumia Pharmacy on 26 July Street. It was a big store, they had the medication I wanted and I also bought some face cream -cucumber/yogurt for 5 LE. Then off to Alpha for washing powder (I know I've been overseas for a while when I call laundry soap, washing powder). Hellmann mayonnaise, sliced turkey, sliced cheddar, more yogurt, fresh baladi bread. I learned the secret for keeping my bread fresh. Freeze what you don't use that day and then defrost as needed. My diet is half Americanized and half Egyptianized.

On my way to the store, I am a keen observer of what is going on around me. I passed a woman carrying fresh bread on a large tray on her head. Remembering what Shayma told me about the bread sellers, that you get more for your money than at the store. Not knowing where a furna was (bread bakery) I thought, yeah, I'll buy some bread. Just as I was hesitating in my thoughts. I saw one fall off the pile; she stooped down to pick it up and put it back. And I thought, OK, I will just avoid the top of the bread pyramid. A half block later, about a dozen fell off. A man on the street helped her pick them up and put them back on her wooden tray. That did it for me. There was no way I could get the bread from the sides of the pile without the top portion falling off. Have you ever wanted a piece of fruit, like a really crispy looking apple, from the bottom of a pile and then apples start falling from the top? Of course, you have. Alpha market bread has touched (I assume) fewer hands and sidewalks since I think it is made in their store. At least, that is what I want to believe.

Other tricks I use while walking. When a man is walking too closely, I stop and look in a store window so I am behind him. Nobody gets to look at the tort, Cate! This time I got to look all over the store's second floor where housewares, shampoos and anything not food is sold. I bought a manicure set with toenail clippers, fingernail clippers, emery boards for 5.75 LE. After I found the Persil laundry soap, I walked around looking at everything. Shampoos, creams, and even hair coloring products. To my surprise they had Schwartzkopf hair color which is the best product ever. I used to get my hair colored with that in Santa Barbara but was never able to find it since. And it's in English and Arabic. Cool. So for fellow Fulbrighters, when they say don't bother taking shampoo and other products, take their advice. It lessens the weight of baggage.

Should go out for another walk but it's kind of nice at home. If so, I'll have to start another charcoal sketch in preparation for my watercolor. Hasta la vista baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment