Thursday, October 22, 2009

Beading class, Women's Association

Today was my first beading/jewelry class at WA headquarters on 11 Yehia Ibrahim Street in Zamalek, Cairo. Our teacher has been making jewelry for 15 years and is part of a shop in my section of Cairo called And Company. She gave us the basics with tools which we didn't really need today but there were beads and wire to string them on. She also brought the book on Crystals and their Healing Power which I have a version of at home. I was going back and forth between fondling the jasper and the carnelian/agate then placing the beads and replacing others until I found a combination of them that I was pretty happy with. In two weeks, we go on a field trip to the Khan to a huge bead shop where we can choose our own silver spacers and beads, stones, etc. which will be much better.

I ended up making a carnelian and pearl necklace which I think looks pretty good. Our teacher helped us with making the clasp and voila! My necklace was worn home. I'll post the picture of the necklace soon. So now you know what I will be giving out as gifts this year - earrings and necklaces made in Egypt. That's all for now. Off to Alexandria tomorrow for a Fulbright trip

No comments:

Post a Comment