Sunday, October 11, 2009

New Paintings and Food Delivery

This morning, yes 11:00 am is still morning for me, I was on a roll and started two new paintings and one new charcoal sketch. One is my friend Amira el Naqueb who writes forAl Ahram. It is just blocked out color and shape wise but I have her expression well defined. Then I started on a little Coptic girl from the church in Moqqatam hills. She is barely four years old, wispy hair big wooden cross on a leather string around her neck. Her big eyes reminded me of how I used to look. I made some adjustments to the little St. Catherine's girl especially her left eye. Somehow the left eyes are too high up. I thibk it's because I am drawing flat when I should have an easel. Acrylics are easy enough to correct though. I like the way they are going on the watercolor paper. Once the 12 are finished of this size, I want to work on the larger size canvases I bought for a group portrait.

I had to stop the paintings because I don't want to get mechanical about them - no paint by numbers - the scourge of the wanna be artist - I want the spark, the expression intact, coming out from within the paint and the sitter's eyes and mouth. Needing a break, I suggested to Dominique that we get out. It is so easy to stay in the air conditioned apartment! It is still humid outside and I heard that Nebraska is having the first snow storms and West Chester is getting chilly. Needed to stock up on mundane stuff like t.p. and desperately in need of bottled water so off we went to Alpha Market.

As our shopping cart ended up with more and more items, I figured, we should see about delivery and that way, I could get two boxes of water - this time the Nesle brand which is way better than Baraka, I also saw Siwa water but Nesle is tried and true. I was down to the last one at home. We each got chocolate - I had bought a variety of bars last week and Dominique liked a certain Hershey's and I am a great fan of Galaxy chocolate bars, so creamy. Just for comparative purposes, I also bought one Cadbury my ultimate favorite. We bought some stuff for stir fry, the tricolored peppers and mushrooms that Dominique will cook - veggies!! I will also eat tomatoes but no lettuce or other hard to clean items.

We made ourway home, hands free except for the two dozen country roses I bought for less than $3. They are pink but there were maybe three red roses mixed in. They even smelled faintly of roses. We got home, thrilled with the air conditioning, and I got the roses trimmed and put into the water pitcher - not the Brita - that water is for making tea and coffee. I'm now drinking some hibiscus tea (I had snitched a bunch of tea bags while in Costa Rica). I also am typing this on my mini Dell laptop. I finally figured out how to connect wirelessly about I bought a cord for direct connection to the modem. I had tried the wireless before on this b ut I guess I am better at pushing the right buttons now. I also had some kind of security on it which asked for a password each time another web site was accessed which was really annoying. Took care of that problem too. So now I sit on my green hard backed loveseat, sipping tea and typing on this lovely lightweight mini.

Well, that's all for niow, two young boys from the market delivered the groceries and I tipped them each 5 LE and they were happy. Me too. I love having lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment