Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Homework

Today I'm catching up on what I call homework - no, not housework - you all know me as the limited domestic goddess! I did get the laundry done. Did I mention before that my washing cycle takes at least 1 1/2 hours for a small load? Drying is quicker.

At any rate, I contacted Ghada who manages a women's sewing coop or workshop for women and girls near Maadi. We will meet Saturday at 11:30 am at the metro station and then go from there. On Friday is an art exhibition called "Bread" at Darb 17 18 with contemporary art by 12 artists. Egypt is the world's greatest consumer of bread and this is nothing new. In Pharaonic times, the farmers and workers existed on rations of bread and beer - not your Wonder bread and Yuengling but greasy thick flat loaves and very soupy almost chewable beer full of vitamins. I still don't understand how one can work after drinking beer. I would fall asleep. But if you slept, you didn't work and if you didn't work, no survival for you or your family. The Egyptian government subsidizes bread and petrol. Gas prices are around 85 cents per liter here. Egypt is the only Middle Eastern country who sells oil to Israel.

I was stressing out about getting my ten line artist biography for the Cairo Opera House exhibition translated into Arabic. Finally, this afternoon, the light bulb went on. I used Google to find an English to Arabic translation site for free and plugged in my bio and voila! - Standard Arabic translation. Then I remembered something that Karl upstairs had told me that I should check the translation as it sometimes turns out pretty funny. Boy, was he right. One of the online sources was nearly unintelligible. Yikes! So went back and forth from Arabic to English and vice versa, simplifying my English words until the final product was not embarrassingly stupid in context. Now why didn't these translation tools exist when I was working on my Master's degree or PhD? Technology can be a very good thing for the smaller problems like this. If you want to see what it looks like here it is:

السيرة الذاتية
الدكتور فرجينيا M. دا كوستا ، وهو بحاثة بمنحة من فولبرايت (2009-2010) وأستاذ مشارك في تاريخ الفن في جامعة وست تشيستر في بنسلفانيا منذ عام 1998. حصل على درجة الماجستير في الفن (1990) في جامعة ولاية كاليفورنيا ، لونغ بيتش في الرسم وتاريخ الفن ، ودكتوراه (1997) في جامعة كاليفورنيا في سانتا باربرا. كما غرامة الفنان ومؤرخ الفن ، أستاذ دا كوستا ينظر إلى المرأة بوصفها الفنانين والعباد.

منهج دراسي جديد للمرأة في الشرق الأوسط : الفن والسينما والأدب التي أنشأتها دا كوستا بعد فولبرايت هايس الحلقة الدراسية الصيفية في مصر (2007). أستاذ دا كوستا قد سافر على نطاق واسع -- تركيا وسوريا والأردن وتونس والمغرب ومصر منذ عام 1992

الأبحاث الحالية على المرأة في مصر والحرف والفنانين الذين يستخدمون الفنون التقليدية في عملها سيؤدي في منشور. هذا سيضيف إلى مناقشات عالمية حول الفنون التقليدية في الشرق الأوسط من قبل النساء. لوحات بورتريه في هذا المعرض : وجوه من مصر تعكس التعبيرات الفريدة والثقافة من الرجال والنساء والأطفال انها اجتمعت هنا.

Of course, you can pick out the years and remember, it reads from right to left. This is modern standard Arabic which is more formal than colloquial Egyptian Arabic.

I want to paint another portrait today so will post when I do. First though, I have some proofing to do for my friend Sally, something pretty easy for me. She is a wonderful artist and deserves her promotion and tenure.

I also caught up on numerous emails --more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment