Friday, October 9, 2009

A smile from the barista

Since last summer when I was here in Zamalek, I vowed that I would find a way to make the barista at Simond's cafe smile. Today that wish came true. It was the last cappucchino of the day for him - he is on the early shift apparently. It was Dominique's first time there and I really needed a good jolt of caffeine to jumpstart my painting. I paid the 7 LE, took the receipt to him - he asked what I wanted and I assumed correctly that's what he asked. Dominique brought her receipt to him as well. I am calling him Mohamed for now, it is a safe guess for a man's name around here. We parked ourselves at the new marble counter and drank our coffees. When he brought his small bowl of change - 25 piaster bill with a few little coins to the young, veiled female cashier, I jumped up and put a 1 LE note in his hand and I got my big smile and a Merci beaucoup Madame as well. I was as pleased as I could be. Next time, or the time after that, I will ask for a photo. The man is a legend and Simond's is written about in most guidebooks - it has been around for over 100 years. The clientele is generally made up of Egyptian men. There is a big non-smoking sign on the counter which most seem to ignore. Today though, we were blessed with no indoor pollution in the nicely air conditioned cafe. I never thought I would be graced with a smile since last year, he only seemed to favor his old cronies with a hello and to me, Simond's was like an old boys club. Maybe I have changed. I wore a purple tea shirt with the requisite scarf wound about my neck and decollete. I've decided that tipping someone who makes the best cappucchino in Cairo with a 1 LE note is a small favor, well earned. If we did this in America, a 20 cent tip would get us a sneer or a round of expletives. This is what I love about Egypt, days like this.

Perusing the glass cases, we looked at the enormous birthday cakes and other treats and I decided to buy what smelled like a pound cake, a small one the size of Nancy's shoe was 5.5 LE. Something nice to have with our afternoon tea.

On returning home, I cleaned my palette peeling off the dried acrylic paint with ease, and settled in for an afternoon of painting. I am halfway finished with two more portraits - a young teenaged boy (around 13 or 14 years old) from Mount Sinai and a little Bedouin girl from St. Catherine's. I drew in his hand holding a crystal - I paid him a few dollars for a large smoky quartz crystal which he had found in the nearby mountains and wanted to add it to the portrait. I feel that I've captured their expressions well and blocked in the colors. They are a little different from my first two but then I am only in the middle of the painting - I like seeing my progress and have them propped up against the wall in front of me. By the time the beginning of November rolls around, I would love to have a dozen completed. I'll be painting the little girl from Tunis village that I have posted here with more planned.

Dominique just made tea and I cut the tea bread - pound cake with golden Egyptian raisins. Not too sweet with soft raisins, just right for tea time. More later

No comments:

Post a Comment